Tuesday, October 6, 2009


I taught Nephi's Psalm from the 4th chapter of 2nd Nephi in the Book of Mormon this morning to my high school seminary class. Even those (like my students) who do not have an understanding of ancient hebrew poetry can recognize and relate with the heart felt pleadings of Nephi's psalm. It was a wonderful morning of sharing/writing (our own psalms) and feeling the spirit. The psalm has been written and put to music (see the tab above right). It is like the Psalms of David, replete with vivd figurative language and the dramatic rising and falling of emotion (my students loved this.) Nephi's Psalm articulates universal feelings of self-reproach and rejoicing, of pleading and praising. This hymn was built upon the single climactic line in Nephi's psalm "Awake my soul! No longer droop in sin!" (2 Ne 4:28) Enjoy the Hymn-- set to the tune of "Finlandia" also known as "Be still my Soul." It is powerful.
I Love The Lord, written by John Tanner:

I love the Lord. In him my soul delights.
Upon his word, I ponder day and night.
He's heard my cry, brought visions to my sleep,
And kept me safe o'er deserts and the deep.
He's filled my heart with his consuming love,
And borne me high on wings of his great dove.

Yet oft I groan,"O wretched man am I!"
My flesh is weak and I'm encompassed by
A world of sin, which holds me in its thrall,
If I give in and to temptations fall.
Then strength grows slack, I waste in sorrow's vale.
My peace destroyed, my enemies prevail.

Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin.
Rejoice, my heart! And let me praise again
The Lord my God, who is my rock and stay
To keep me strict upon his straight, plain way.
O let me shake at the first sight of sin
And thus escape my foes without and in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful. I'm teaching Seminary, too, and I love teaching this chapter! And the poem/song is awesome.

I had no idea you blogged, although I'm sure you told me. So now I'm going to follow you!